A GPS safe-zone (also called a geofence) is a virtual border around a specific area. Once set up, when your device enters/leaves this specific area, you will receive an alert from the app.
You may want to set up a safe-zone for work, school, home, depots or storage sites.
1. Open the Lightbug App or go to the Web Portal
2. Go to 'Account', then to the 'Geofences' page
2. Click on the 'plus' icon
3. Configuration section
Name: Here you should choose the most appropriate name for your geofence, this name will be displayed on every notification you get for this alert.
Alert: Choose to be notified/alerted when the device:
- Is outside the geofence
- Is inside the the geofence
- Crosses the boundary of the geofence
Additional Conditions: You can add conditions where an alert will only be triggered if these conditions are met. These conditions include speed (for select tracker models) and time.
Notification Delivery: Choose how you like to be notified of the alert. This can be updated on the Settings tab.
4. Devices section
Here you can enable the alert for all devices on your account.
Alternatively, you can enable the alert for specific trackers only by selecting the required tracker. This tracker will be added to the selection.
4. Boundary section
Here is where you create the geofence, just follow the simple steps below:
Locate the area you would like the geofence to be. You can use the search bar to help you with this
Choose the shape of geofence
Tap the Map to add points and create your geofence. The safe zone can be a standard or custom irregular shape by joining up the points
D. Click the first point in the geofence to confirm the shape. The geofence will turn blue to confirm that it is now saved
The safe zone has now been set up.
There are a few things to note:
- When setting up this type of safe-zone, it is advisable to make it at least 50m by 50m to account for GPS inaccuracies.
- When the device leaves the geofence the notification will be sent at the next location update.
- To apply the new settings immediately, press the button on your tracker. If you don't have your tracker to hand, the tracker will update its settings the next time it is scheduled to send a location update.
If you have any additional questions about setting up safe-zones, don't be afraid to reach out to us!